Metal powders add to: Lacquers, Polyurethane, Oil Varnish, Waxes and even Glass
(liquified) that will form a film to encapsulate the metallic powder.
Avoid mixing metal powders with water based clear coats. Your finish will Patina
(turn green unexpectedly)
Mica powders add to: Lacquers, Polyurethane, Oil Varnish, Acrylic Varnishes, Glaze,
Epoxy and Waxes.
- When mixing the powder here are some tips.
- Make a slurry or paste with the thinner used to reduce the medium.
- Water based Clear coats - use denatured alcohol.
- Water based Glaze - use denatured alcohol.
- Lacquer - use Lacquer thinner.
- Waxes - use turpentine.
- Then add to the clear coat medium.
The higher the quality of clear coat medium used, the better the metallic finish
appears. Paint is not recommended to mix powders with as it masks out the metallic
Tip: mix a pearlized mica into a clear coat and coat the paint for a metallic effect.
Prices subject to change without prior notice.